Sunday, April 23, 2006

The Dodgers Game

Yesterday we went to a Dodgers game. Los Angeles has 2 major league baseball teams: The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (of California, and so on...little bit of a joke); (and the ones we have the season tix for); and the Los Angeles Dodgers. Why then, you ask, did we go to a Dodgers game? Well, Frankie is in the Buena Park Little League, and their team, the Cardinals, got a chance to parade around Dodgers stadium right before the game. Something about National League vs. American League. His team was affiliated with the Dodgers instead of the Angels.

And, it was also autograph day for kids under 14. So, while Frank was getting Frankie to the parade, Steven and I took a brand new MLB baseball (used for autographs) and stood in a line 1/4 length of the stadium, in hopes of getting an autograph from one of the Dodgers. After standing in line for about an hour--it wasn't too bad, the weather was sunny but not hot, and the view was great; Hollywood is on one side and LA is kind of at a right angle--so we did ok. But just as we made it up to the autograph tent, they called all the players out so they could go warm up for the game. Darn. But, they left the veteran players, so we got autographs from Bobby Costillo and Rudy Law. (Like I know who they are. Someone famous, and I wouldn't even know it :o) It was a good game too--the Dodgers won, and Steven took a nap. YES!

Last but not least, we did get to see a couple of famous folks and we actually knew who they were: Harrison Ford was there with his girl, Calista Flockhart. Of course, they had a private box, and we only saw them because they got put on the big screen. But it was still neat to think that we were probably only about 100 yards from Indiana Jones. (He's actually looking kind of old; sporting a full beard that's mostly white.) Also saw some NFL player, Warren Moon; again, wouldn't know him if I saw him on the street, but Frank knew who he was. Once they pointed him out, we looked down and saw him in the stands live, so Frank took this picture. He's the one with the mint green shirt. Cool, huh? Course, we're in the nosebleed section at the tip top of the stadium, so Warren's features are a little indistinguishable, but trust me, it's him.

2 comments:

Crissy said...

It's very surreal to know that you are there, seeing those people and experiencing those things. Wild! I never woulda thunk it.

Amber said...

Neither would I, buh-lieve me! I guess I should appreciate it while I have it, instead of missing home so much, huh? It's amazing how we have the "experience of a lifetime" while we are living here, and yet, I would rather be living in the trailer in Odenville. I am learning to be content no matter where I am. God is teaching me so much.