Thursday, June 14, 2007

Back in the Habit

Well, I'm back. Sorry it's been a while. I've missed posting, but haven't had a lot of time, as I got a job TWO DAYS after I got home. Agh! Talk about not letting any grass grow under my feet. Anyway, we got home Saturday night, 6/2; I was over at my mom-in-law's the next day checking the Sunday paper want ads, called on Monday to apply to the funeral home for receptionist position; had one interview on Monday; a second on Tuesday morning, and by Tuesday afternoon, had a full time job with benefits! yippee. I almost didn't take the job, just cuz they offered so quick! I felt a little jinxed or something. But, I'd prayed for several things:

1. To find a job with professional people who would be nice to work with
2. To find a job close to home, so I could go home every day at lunch (which doesn't happen very often in Alabama)
3. To find a job with benefits.
4. To find a job that was not too stressful, so I could leave it there at the end of the day.
5. To find a job quickly

Every stipulation was answered, thank you Jesus! The folks seem pretty nice (so far...); the job's only 4 miles away from home; it has great benefits; I got it quickly; and it's not terribly stressful. Weeeeelllll, I say not too stressful, except the day I started, Monday, the funeral home had 13 new cases come in over the weekend, which was a record for them. Needless to say, it was a tad crazy my first couple of days. I made it ok--nothing like jumping in with both feet! but, it helped me learn their phone system quicker, which was probably the hardest part of the job.

So, I think everything's ok...It seems about like working in a medical office. It's mostly answering phones and creating files for the cases (dead people). The work is nice and boring (Shelley, I know you get me!) But instead of working with doctors and nurses, I work with funeral directors. I think I've hit it off with them ok; they like my perky personality. Most of them are a lot older than me. Maybe it'll help liven the dead folks, who knows. I know you are probably wondering what it's like to work at a (ew) funeral home? It's not that bad, actually. Although I am front line, I get to pass the folks off pretty quick and don't have to deal with too much.

I'll let you know if anything else interesting pops up. more later.

1 comment:

Graced said...

Gee, I hope nothing pops up...

aren't they dead!?!