Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Irritating habits I've picked up since moving to CA:

The impulse to hold items for reading at a distance. I don't know if it's because I work with a lot of people who need reading glasses, or if I'm just getting old too, heehee. But I've found that when I pick up a piece of paper to read, I hold it far away from me while studying it. Maybe I AM getting old...sigh...

The sound "mhhhm" at the end of a telephone conversation. Instead of just saying "bye", I've picked up what EVERYONE here does: "mhhhm, bye". I think it's because we're trying to be polite, and we can't quite figure out how to end the conversation, so this just seems to be the best way. I've caught myself several times in the past few days, and it is annoying as all git out. (now there's some good ol' southern slang for you.)

Several key phrases:

"Totally". That is sooooo valley girl/Southern California!

"You guys". 'Nuf said.

"yeah-no". Where you are agreeing with someone about something, esp if they are telling you a funny story.

"Hi". Everyone says that instead of "hey!".

So don't laugh at me when I get home!!!! You know it'll take me awhile to get "re-Southernized"!!!

3 comments:

Frank said...

I have refused to conform and take pride in my roots. If they laugh at me, I just smile and respond with "Bless your heart, you ain't got a lick of sense" or something else they don't quite git.

Anonymous said...

Heehee...people actually say "y'all" here. I think my face lights up every time I hear it, too. I do believe Justin's random "I've lived 'woll ova'(all over)" accent has started rubbing off on me a little. But, it's ok cuz mine rubs off on him a little, too. (Don't ask him, though. He'd never admit it.) *giggle*

~TV

Jawan said...

Amber, we can't wai for YOU ALL to get back to the south so you can stop all those west coast habits. Come on back to us!