Monday, February 26, 2007

American Idol

hahaha. there are so many things I've been keeping from you! Never would have known, but now I have my claim to fame:

I did it! I tried out for American Idol back a few months ago--and not once, but twice! For all of my friends who always told me, and believed in me--yes, I tried it. Been there, done that. I wasn't going to tell anyone, but now I've got the proof: I made it to the website:
click here .

So, I'm famous for just a moment--a mere snapshot.
But I know, I know--you want to hear the whole story, right? and why I didn't show up on T.V....
Well, it's a lot different than you might be aware of...16,000 people showed up in B'ham to try out, and less than 30 made it to Hollywood. That's about 1 in 600. Also, about 99% of the people that show up CAN sing. So you're fighting for a chance to be heard, but almost everyone is just as good as you or better. So, for the most part, only the bad and the ugly make it. The first audition I attended, B'ham, was a learning experience. As you can see in the pic, I didn't do anything special--kept the look you all know and love. The girl pictured with me is Beth, whom I met on the plane back to Birmingham--a believer, and really sweet girl from Ohio.

Anyway, the producers set up about 16 booths with tables and 2 judges, down in the arena and start lining up people 4 across in front of the tables; about 6 rows deep. So, 24 people standing in front of 16 booths--384 people. So there are as many as 16 people singing at the same time across the arena. In that way, it only takes about 10 hours to process 16,000+ people! It was very hard to concentrate to say the least. Then, as the auditions progress, you realize that nobody is making it. Then you hear through the grapevine that you don't even see Randy, Paula, and Simon until the 3rd round! So, Sarah and I tried out together and neither of us made it.

Well, I did see that more trendy folks were getting thru, and I hate rejection--so I wanted to try one more time. I chose Memphis, b/c it was on a Sunday, and I could catch a red-eye (overnight flight), and be back to work on Monday. (Frank, btw, was very supportive of the whole thing.) I got help from my artsy friend, Deannah, who straightened my hair, gave me makeup tips, and helped me come up with trendy outfit and jewelry. Well, I felt like a million bucks. But, unfortunately, Memphis was like B'ham. Too much talent, too few spots.

I was disappointed at first, but the longer I've dwelt on it, the more I've come to terms with it.
Rejection is hard, but here's what I think:

1. The entertainment industry is HARD work. Touring is esp. difficult (KimHill, I know you get that!). I would just like the $$ that come after all the work! haha.

2. Thank God I find my identity in Him and not AI. I know that I can sing--I am also aware that had I made it to the big 3: R,P, &S; they would have said: "you're a good singer--but too broadway, etc." I know my style, and I don't know how long I would have been able to hold up a pop sound.

3. Don't know if I would have made it in the Industry as far as the pressures: mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. There is SO much room for moral failure.

So, now I can have a small claim to fame and say I was there when...

p.s. You're probably wondering why I didn't tell you before....well....

I didn't want to get anyone's hopes up in case I didn't make it. The fewer people to disappoint, the better. My mom was crushed pretty bad as it was. And after it was over, it became, well...not important anymore. I just didn't care. But, now that I made it to the website, I HAD to tell someone!

4 comments:

Jawan said...

Oh my gosh...I have a semi-famous friend! I'm gonna share it with the whole world! (I wouldn't have made it past round one, either.....for different reasons. My voice isn't strong enough, nor can I do all those fancy runs at the end of almost every line!)

Anonymous said...

By the way, did you look through the Memphis pictures? There were some seriously scary looking people in those pics!!

~TV

Abbey said...

Wow, girl! That is sooooooo fun!!! You look so cute in that picture, by the way. Just like I remember you!! I'm proud of you for trying out! That's intimidating.

Dollar General said...

I think that is so cool. I love that story. I love that you made it on the website and you looked GREAT! Good for you! You are a winner to us AL people!