Monday, May 29, 2006

Memorial Day

Well, since today is Memorial Day, I would like to remember my Grandfather. A year ago this month, we buried my granddad on my Dad's side. He was 80 years old. His name was Ellis Vance Ewing, Sr. (Funny that when I married, my last name became Ellis:o) Here are some things I remember about his life:

He loved to fish.

He had a fishing buddy named George, who, when I was little, I used to call "Grammaw". (George was the first person I remember seeing as a kid who had grey hair, and I thought if you had grey hair, you were supposed to be a grandma)

Grandad also loved his t.v. By the time I got to know him, he was older and had slowed down considerably. His favorite things to watch were college football, old westerns, and the game show network. He was a master with that remote. He could change those channels almost faster than lightning!

"Is your daddy a glassmaker?" I probably heard him say those words more than everything else he told me put together. Granddad had a funny sarcastic side and if you got in the way of the t.v., he would grunt that phrase; which meant, "get out of the way--I'm can't see the t.v." And if he didn't say it fast enough, someone else would jump in and say it.

We always saw them--Nanny and Granddad on Thanksgiving and/or Christmas. If not to eat, then at least to drop in and say "hey". The holidays always centered around food, t.v., and Christmas gifts. And of course, catching up on what cousins were up to in the last year since we'd seen them all. I think it is a shame that we don't get together more often than once a year--and I am as much to blame as anyone. I really do have a great family. Always tell myself that we're too busy, but living so far away has changed me. I don't take things for granted anymore.

Granddad fought in WWII. Since he didn't like to talk about his war experiences, mostly we heard the stories from my dad. One story that we tell and re-tell is the story of Granddad's sword that he brought back from Japan. The hilt of the sword is a dragon's head, with rubies for eyes. Rumor has it that it belonged to an old Japanese warlord, and every time we tell the story, the sword grows about 2 inches and gets 100 years older. It is very cool. There are also stories of buddies he lost and sadness in the Japanese wilderness. We didn't really talk about those too much. Granddad wasn't really keen on remembering who he'd lost, and I can't say that I blame him.

Granddad hung sheetrock for a living. All or most of his brothers did, and most if not all of his nephews and sons do too. The Ewings are like the Drywall Dynasty in the south. Everyone knows Pidd, Podd, Calvin, Junebug, Hoochie, Mike, Steve, and all the rest who I don't even remember their names. They were (and are) known for being FAST and skilled at their jobs.
One thing I really admire about Granddad is that he worked up til 3 weeks before he died (at 80). Even at 65, he never did really retire. I think he went bored and stir-crazy. His life just revolved around work, so he kept at it. Usually worked 3 days a week. When he finally got sick, it was colon cancer, and it just up and hit him one day. One day he got up and went to work, and the next day he was laid up in the hospital sick. By then, the cancer was too far gone, and the doctors told him it didn't look good. I remember about a week later, I saw him and knew that this time it was for real. He'd lived through 2 heart attacks and a bypass, but this was it. Thankfully, he wasn't sick for very long, and did not suffer. He just sat down in his favorite chair, fought it for a few moments and then went to sleep. And most of the family got to be there with him when he passed.

He left so many of us. 4 kids, 15 grandkids, and 5 greats. Oh and Nanny, who just keeps going too. Nanny still works at the day care, but she has struggled with her health--she had an eye cancer a while back, which dr's were able to help; but now she is struggling with heart disease. She is great too--no matter how many grands and greats we produced, somehow Nan and Granddad were able to get EVERYONE a little something for Christmas! I never understood how they did it, but they did. It's like their labor of love for the family, and I appreciate their generosity. I also appreciate knowing that they would always be there for every Christmas, and we could go and "catch up". As an adult, I realize that life won't always be like that. But I am going to call Nanny today and catch up. The older I get, the fewer things I take for granted.

*If you are a family member and/or friend who knew Granddad, please leave a comment and tell me what you remember about him. Love y'all!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Amber.The ting that I remember most about Granddad was he rarely ever talked.I only heard him talk about five times in my life.I'll always remember how his voice sounded a bit gravelly all the time,like he didn't use it all that much.Now I have memories of when I was little.I would look up in that chair,and I would see him just watching t.v.He was like a strong,silent companion,kind of like God is.

Anonymous said...

wow at least joanna remembers HEARING him talk. i don't!!

but i miss him too!

Anonymous said...

I jumped at every chance to go with dad down to their house just to hear him talk.One of the pleasures of still living at home.