Saturday, May 06, 2006

Trader Joe's

One thing that I love about California is a store called Trader Joe's. It's fashioned after trading posts in the 1800's, and they have a little of everything. Some produce/dairy/meat, but also organic stuff and vitamins. You can't do all your grocery shopping there, but you can get a lot of it, at very good prices. They buy whole sale from manufacturers, and all their food is very good for you--organic, no preservatives, etc. That's one thing I hate about buying organic/no hormones/antibiotics, etc; is that those things cost twice as much as the regular stuff. So you have to make a decision: 1. be extra healthy and spend a lot more $$ buying all natural/organic, or 2. be as healthy as you can and take the cheaper alternatives; like Tyson's hormone-laden chicken or Barber's antibiotic-laced milk. Granted, I still buy a lot of my stuff from a regular grocery store (I should buy stock in Tyson's); but today at Trader Joe's, I picked up organic baby spinach for $1.79/bag, with a good date and cheaper than the Fresh Express Variety at the grocery store. I also got several all natural frozen meals--like stouffers or lean cuisine family dinners for less than $5 apiece. My favorite is box mac 'n cheese--all organic cheese and pasta, for 79 cents a box. It's so cool to be able to eat more healthy for the same price, or in some cases, cheaper. If you're interested, check out their website at www.traderjoes.com

Now if they'll just open up one back home, I'll be good. I think I'll email the company and suggest it.

No comments: