Thursday, May 22, 2008

Pride and Prejudice and Pianos

Yippee!!! It's here. The "free" piano cost us a tank of gas ($42--it was in Arab), and the manpower of 4 people including me. But, it is a spinet and a nice little piano. Thanks to Jacob and Tansy for letting me borrow it!! Sat down and played through some Beethoven and Clementi, and actually made it through most of it--a little rusty but not too bad. The groove came back faster than I thought it would. It doesn't even really need to be tuned either, the pitch almost matches the pitch on my electric keyboard. Which is good, b/c I didn't really have the $$ to pay a piano tuner to drive out to Odenville to tune it. Some of the left hand keys stick a bit, so I gotta get online and see if there's any way I can fix it w/o calling a technician. One website said sticking piano keys is most likely attributed to humidity. Oh dear. I may just be stuck then.

Finished Pride and Prejudice. I realized Mr. Darcy did mention that he ardently loved Lizzy--I guess his delivery was so pompous that I didn't catch that part. But the second half was even better than the first, and of course everyone lived happily ever after. It is Jane Austen after all. I think one of my favorite characters was the mother--she was so sincere. yet completely over the top--think that would have been a very fun character to play. I love the way folks in 19th century Britain talked too--takes them forever to get to the point, but they do it so eloquently. Anyway, if you haven't seen it, you should put it on your blockbuster queue and get it. Or borrow it from Crissy like I did. Just don't plan to keep it long, b/c I think she watches it at least once every 3-6 months.

Hating me some junk mail. And the bad thing about it is, I signed up for most, if not all of it! Airline tix, real estate quotes, ways to save money, Webster's word of the day, etc. etc. etc. Agh!! stop the madness!! the last few days have been spent UN-subscribing myself to all this stuff I've signed up for. I only want to get mail from people I know!!! So, I figure that the 2 hours or so that I've spent getting rid of this mess will be worth it in the long run, right? Though, I think I will keep the Michael's ad and Webster's word of the day....

Don't forget Friday night at my place. Bring something to eat, of the potlucky sort. I will prob make a main dish of some kind? who knows, whatever strikes my fancy. We'll eat maybe round 6ish?

1 comment:

Kimmipeach@gmail.com said...

had fun friday nite. nertz was awesome!